Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Powerhouse Networking

Boy what an event! Before I get into the good details of the event I would first like to give a huge Thank You to The Hudson Business Lounge for being so accommodating for us students as well as the professionals. It was quite the experience being able to sit down and have a real conversation with people out in the "real world" as us college students see it as. I would like to give a strong and sincere Thank you to the certain business professionals I had the pleasure of interviewing with; Amy Liste, an administrative assistant at Fair Park of Jefferson County, Juan Paz, a Field Marketing Initiatives Coordinator for Kohl's, and lastly my former marketing teacher as well as a UW Systems Logistics and Sustainability Researcher, Sharon Roy. Going into the event at the Business Lounge my expectations were not very high, I thought to myself, "who doesn't know how to interview at this point in their lives", but it turns out I was wrong. We all have things to learn about the professional world as well as how to interview properly for a job. I myself made a few mistakes that Juan Paz was sure that I understood before I left our interview room. The most important thing I will be taking away from my interview with Juan is when he told me to never admit to having a weakness. Always make it sound like a positive. I feel like this event really strengthened some of my positive attributes I possess, but in other ways it highlighted some of my weaknesses. I think that this is what professor Ann Knabe wanted us to gain from it. A different view of the way we currently do things. That we will continuously be learning and learning for the rest of our lives no matter what profession we go into. So on behalf of myself as well as my clasmates I would like to again say thank you to the Hudson Business Lounge as well as the professional Jeff Carrigan from Big Shoes Network for his inspiring words for us and our future endeavors.

1 comment:

  1. Jake- I'm glad to hear you had a good time at the networking event. I also enjoyed being able to sit down and talk to other business professionals without having the pressure of a job on the line. Great post!

    ReplyDelete